Monday, August 15, 2011

Flea Market Style

So, I thought I would do another book review.  (and by review I really mean just lots of photos!) I didn't think that I would be doing these on this blog but I just had to share.  The lovely book is Flea Market Style by Emily Chalmers, with words by Ali Hanan and photography by Debi Treloar.

This is one of my favourite interior books ever! - I pour over the scrummy pages all the time.  It is one of those books that you keep finding things you missed and you see and get inspired by something different every time.

While flicking through Book Depository craft books the other day (as you do - and I do far, far to much!) I came across it and it's 61% off!!!! Crazy.  Now I sort of wish I had waited to buy it, but not really as I have had good few years of ogling out of it.  Here are some of my favourite pages and quotes.....



"Some found objects have quirks; some need mending - but give any item a little tender loving care or a fresh twist and watch it blossom into new life."

"Flea-market style is by its nature relaxing and comforting to live with because junk pieces with past lives are never precious, uptight or pretentious; they have been there, done that - and lived to tell the tale." 

"If there are certain items that you are passionate about, you may find yourself buying one more... and another.  Gradually the hunt reaches fever-pitch and, before you know it, you have acquired a collection."


I just love this book so much - the interiors are just so inspiring and timeless.  This 'Flea Market' style is definitely an aesthetic that I really connect with - I would say my own house is pretty much true to this look and my work certainly takes its cues from these ideas.  I am so jealous too of some of the fantastic vintage finds in these homes - it is so hard in New Zealand to just stumble upon gems like this in a flea market.  We don't even have that many flea markets (please let me know if I'm wrong and I've somehow managed to miss a really good one!)  This book has me pining for the fantastic markets in London and Paris - if you ever go to Paris forget about the tourist stuff, go to the Marche aux Puces.  I could literally spend days there!

So have I tempted you? 
Here is the link to the book - you wont regret buying this one - promise!       Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
                                                         
                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment